Welcome to the geographical Centre of Queensland and a town with more history than a small stay can uncover.
Muttaburra State School history
Muttaburra State School is one of the oldest schools in the district. The school was opened on 18 February 1884 with an enrolment of 17. Enrolments peaked at 112 in 1903.
In 1937 the new teacher's residence and school building were completed.
Muttaburra opened its first school in 1884 with an enrolment of 17. Enrolments peaked at 112 in 1903.
Up until the 125th anniversary celebrations in 2009, 1593 children had enrolled in our school.
In 2011, A Block was raised to create an additional undercover area and the entire building renovated to become one whole classroom. B Block also saw a refresh for the Offices, Kitchen and Library spaces with new paint and furniture.
Muttaburra community history website
Find out more about the history of Muttaburra, including a list of past students and staff.
The meeting of the Landborough and Thomson Rivers as well as Cornish Creek are situated on the edge of the community.
42 Sword Street, Muttaburra, Queensland, 4732
Muttaburra State School (0304)
Muttaburrasaurus Langdoni lived around 100 million years ago, during the Cretaceous period. It was a herbivore, with rows of grinding teeth. It was discovered three kilometres from Muttaburra in 1963 by local grazier Doug Langdon, after whom the dinosaur is named.
Find out more at Queensland museum's website.